Posted by Paul Griffiths as 3: Season Three
James Leith built the first tower of what was to become known as Leith Hall in 1650. Since then subsequent Lairds have added to it so that now it is one of the finest examples of the ‘chateau’ style castles in Scotland. It also boasts some of the finest gardens in Scotland within the 113 ha estate. The Hall is also one of the few Scottish castles to stay in the same family as it has been passed from father to son.
The family itself had very strong military connections and the hall was a major stronghold in the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745-1746 with close ties to Bonnie Prince Charlie.
On the eve of the fateful Battle of Cullodon, the Laird, Andrew Hays, was presented with a writing case by the Prince which is still in the museum. The museum also contains the only pardon ever given to a Jacobite by the English after the battle.
In keeping with the Hall’s military background, it was converted into an army hospital during The Great War.
Tragedy struck in 1939 when the last two Lairds were killed within four months of each other. It was left to Henrietta Leith-Hays to look after the property until she gave it to The National Trust of Scotland. It has been converted into a museum and is now also open to the public.
There are reportedly many spirits that roam the rooms and corridors, as well as the grounds. The most famous is that of John Leith who was shot in a tavern brawl in Aberdeen. He was allegedly brought to the hall before he died three days later. A figure has been seen walking the stairwell, its head wrapped in a bloody bandage.
Strange apparitions have also been seen in The Leith Bedroom – people have seen children playing or heard their laughter – and the ghost of Henrietta Leith-Hays has been seen roaming the corridors wringing her hands in a state of great melancholy.
First Broadcast: 28th October 2003
Leave a Comment:
- Most Haunted News
- Most Haunted Live
- Live Series
- Live USA
- Gothic Prague Live 2010
- Ghost Hunting With
- Midsummer Murders
- Most Haunted DVD
- Most Haunted Chat
- Haunted Magazine
- Paranormal News
- You Tube
- Bryan Baker in Yvette Fielding Calls Derek Acorah A FakeHi Derek, So what was that about with the Ford Ka? You didn’t see that one coming did you? If you are December 9, 2013, 1:52 pm
- Moira in Most Haunted To Return Online On New Website Most Haunted ChannelWho is Brian on most Haunted!!!! Get him off he’s over bearing This this this. Wish he would stop December 6, 2013, 6:29 pm
- john barnett in Old Hall Hotel, SandbachGreat place to stay youv got to stay there to beleave it .proper scary things fly round the room .screaming December 1, 2013, 11:16 pm
- Bonnie Anderson in Ghost Hunting With… Presented by Yvette FieldingME AND BEOTHERS LOVE YOUR PROGRAME IT WOULD BE A DREAM TO COME WITH YOU ON A GOST HUNT November 29, 2013, 1:57 am
- Elise (eccentric , ghost watching, night nurse) in Most Haunted To Return Online On New Website Most Haunted ChannelThere really is’ somebody there’ after all, fantastic! My pathetic attempts at thought-begging-transference may have worked.You really have raised my November 26, 2013, 9:23 pm
- Elise (eccentric ghost watching night nurse) in Return Of Most Haunted Update – June 2013When are you coming back Yvette and Karl,Kieran et al ? Knock once for this year, and twice for next. November 26, 2013, 8:40 pm