Most Haunted Nunnington Hall
Nunnington Hall is a country house situated in the English county of North Yorkshire. The river Rye, which gives its name to the local area, Ryedale, runs past the house, flowing away from the village of Nunnington. Nunnington Hall is owned, conserved and managed as a visitor attraction by the National Trust.
The present building is a combination of seventeenth and eighteenth century work. Major changes took place during the early 1920s, under the architect Walter Brierley. Most of the building seen today was created during the 1680s, when Richard Graham, 1st Viscount Preston, was its owner.
The Hall stands within eight acres of organically managed grounds, with the main walled garden lying to the south of the building. The Walled Garden includes lawns, orchards, formal Rose beds, mixed borders, a Tea Garden, and an Iris Garden. The orchards are managed as wildflower meadows containing flowers such as Cowslip, Primrose, Snake’s Head Fritillary, Buttercup and Camassia all growing below the fruit trees of which most are traditional Ryedale varieties. Another feature of the gardens are the resident peacocks. On June 10th 2007 Bluey, head of the peacock family, died under suspicious circumstances.
The property lies in the valley of the river Rye. A stone bridge over the river separates the grounds of the house from the village. Above, a ridge known as Caulkley’s Bank, lies between Nunnington and the Vale of York, to the south. The Vale of Pickering and the North York Moors lie to the north and east.
The first Nunnington Hall was mentioned in the thirteenth century and the site has had many different owners. They include William Parr, Robert Huicke, Richard Graham, 1st Viscount Preston, the Rutson family and the Fife family. Mrs Fife gave Nunnington Hall and its gardens to the National Trust in 1952
First Broadcast : 4th November 2008