The first exchange was built near to the present site in 1792. The first exchange was replaced by a second, larger, exchange that was constructed between 1806 and 1809. The second exchange was enlarged between 1847 and 1849. The second exchange was in turn replaced, by a third exchange by Mills & Murgatroyd, constructed between 1867 and 1874. The building was then extended and modified by Bradshaw Gass & Hope between 1914 and 1931 to form the largest trading room in England.
The building was seriously damaged during World War II when it took a direct hit from a bomb during a German air raid. The interior was subsequently rebuilt with a much smaller trading area. The top stages of the clock tower, which had been blasted off, were replaced in a much simpler form. Trading ceased in 1968, and the building was threatened with demolition.
The building remained empty until 1973 when it was used to temporarily house a theatre company.
Yvette Fielding, guest medium Ian Shillito and the team investigate ghostly phenomena at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester. As well as being greeted by remnants of the building’s former guise as a trading centre, a modern day characterdecides to play his part in welcoming the Most Haunted team to his domain.
First Broadcast: 25th July 2006
A self confessed super fan of Most Haunted and editor of GhostMag.com. Matt’s passion for ghost hunting began when he moved into a haunted house in his second year of university in Leicester! His favourite location is the Niddry Street Vaults in Edinburgh.