Description: The hall was built by Francis FitzHerbert in 1609 (this replaced a moated manor house that was to the north of the church). However, the top floor of the house wasn’t added until 1700 and Joseph Pickford (a well known Derby Architect) remodeled the West Aspect in 1780 by adding a projecting central bay and open arcading on the ground floor. The Library and Billiard Room wing was completed by the architect Arnold Mitchell for the 5th Baronet (The Rev. Sir Richard FitzHerbert) in 1902. He also joined the Servant’s house to the main hall, this was then converted into two separate flats in 1994.
The hall has always been home to the FitzHerbert family and has served as their main home for nearly 400 years though the family has lived in the village for 500 years.
The FitzHerbert family originally came to England with William the Conqueror and settled in Derbyshire when William FitzHerbert was granted the Manor of Norbury in 1125.
There are two sides to the family – one side using a capital ‘H’ and he other side without – the side without (the Fitzherberts) live in Staffordshire. The capital letter means that the two sides of the family can be distinguished whilst still retaining the same surname (the Fitzherberts being the Roman Catholic side of the family). Captain William FitzHerbert fought for the Royalists in the English Civil War.
The estate at Tissington came into the hands of the FitzHerbert family when Nicholas FitzHerbert married the heiress Cicely Francis in the late 15th Century.
Colonel Sir Ralph Knight fought for the Parliamentarians in the Civil War (the Knights are another branch of the family tied in with the family estates in Warsop – there are portraits of them at the hall.)
Sir William FitzHerbert was given a Baronetcy by George 3rd in 1784 for acting as Minister for Woods and Rivers and for his role as Gentleman Usher to the King.
Sir William’s Brother – Alleyne FitzHerbert later became Lord St Helens. He was ambassador and plenipotentiary in Russia, Spain, France and other European countries in the late 18th and Early 19th Centuries. During this time he collected much of the art and furniture that is house today.
The first Sir William was succeeded by his eldest son, Anthony in 1791. Anthony’s brother, Henry (1783-1859), inherited the manor as a minor in 1798 and built extensively in and around the village during the 60 years he was there. He built most of the cottages standing in the village today.
– The library contains 3,016 books, many old books belonging to previous baronets. Unexplained noises have been heard, temperature drops felt and a lamp seen to move with no-one near it.
– According to Sir Richard when a ghost group were in the snooker room carrying out experiments their dowsing rods and crystal ‘went nuts’. Also a piece of picture frame was found on the floor – the dowsing suggested the spirit of ‘Mary’ did it.
– Part of the paneling in the Drawing Room had to be replaced after the fire that left Mina FitzHerbert with fatal injuries. Her ghost has been seen here.
– In the West Drawing Room Sir Richard was with some members of the public and a man asked out for Wilhelmina to show herself, as he did it there was a huge flash of light, he asked again and the same happened.
– In room four a camera caught the image of someone falling backwards, the tape has been lost. People have felt the bed rocking and felt a presence standing over them and smelt the scent of lavender.
– The ghost of a man called ‘Williamson’ walks in the Cellar. Sir R doesn’t know of a man with that name but says so many people have worked here over the years there’s no reason why not
– On 20th August 1862 Mina (Wilhelmina) FitzHerbert was caught in a fire. Reports conflict as to whether it occurred in Bedroom 4 or in the Drawing Room. Unfortunately she died from her injuries around the 15th September 1862.
A self confessed super fan of Most Haunted and editor of GhostMag.com. Matt’s passion for ghost hunting began when he moved into a haunted house in his second year of university in Leicester! His favourite location is the Niddry Street Vaults in Edinburgh.