Most Haunted Live Summer Solstice 2005 :: Wakefield
The Rutland Mills complex was originally built in 1875 as a woollen mill.
Night Two : Wakefield Theatre Royal & Opera House
The Theatre Royal is situated in the heart of Wakefield, on the corner of Westgate and Drury Lane. There has been a theatre on the site since 1774, with the current building dating from 1894 and designed by the internationally known British Victorian theatre architect Frank Matcham.
Night Three : Caphouse Colliery
A plan dated 1791 showing workings from 1789 to 1795, includes a shaft on the Caphouse site. It is probably the oldest coal-mine shaft still in everyday use in Britain today.
Before 1827 the colliery was owned by the Milnes family, but then passed into the ownership of the Lister Kaye family, until 1917.
After 1917 the colliery was run by a company, which included the ex-manager Percy Greaves, a colliery owner in his own right. Around 1941 Arthur Sykes of Lockwood and Elliott bought the colliery and remained as owner until Nationalisation in 1947. By 1985 the coal at Caphouse was exhausted and its conversion tothe NATIONAL COALMINE MUSEUM began.
First Broadcast : 19th June 2005