Brinkburn Priory Rothbury, Northumberland
Brinkburn Priory is set on the banks of the River Coquet a few miles east of Rothbury. It was built within a wooded loop of the river and is reached by a steady descent from the car park just off the Rothbury road. This Augustian Priory was founded in the 1130’s by a community of cannons and the earliest surviving buildings date from the late 12th century. It was never very wealthy and one of the first monasteries to be closed in the Dissolution of 1536. After the dissolution the priory church was used as a parish church and part of monastic buildings were converted to a manor house. Over the centuries to condition of the buildings deteriorated but what remained was faithfully restored in the 19th century and the site is now under the management of English Heritage who will maintain this wonderful piece of medieval architecture.